The Irish Coffee is a surefire classic of the cocktail world. And with good reason. Combine the warmth of your favourite Irish whiskey with your favourite FiXX, sweeten it to taste, and then contrast the hot coffee with cold, rich cream. Delicious. And it's so simple to make as well. How you brew your coffee will be up to you, but French Press or pour over like a V60 would be my first choice.
As for what coffee you use, well, that's up to you, too. FiXX Organic lends itself well to this cocktail because of its pleasant chocolaty taste. But I'm a big fan of using FiXX Decaf for my evening cocktails. Not only does it have a rich, full coffee flavour, but you can enjoy your cocktail without filling up on caffeine late in the evening. The whiskey is your call, too. But generally speaking, your standard, off-the-shelf Irish will do the job perfectly.
- 30ml Irish Whiskey
- 5g brown/demarara sugar
- 110ml Brewed FiXX Coffee
- Lightly whipped pouring cream
- Start by preheating your Irish Coffee Glass. If you don't have one, you can use any stemmed glass as long as it's heatproof. You can always use a cup/mug if you want. It'll still taste great. Whatever vessel you use, preheat it by pouring some boiling water into it and allowing it to sit.
- Next, brew your coffee. As mentioned earlier, you can do this however you want. If you use espresso, dilute it with boiling water to get to your 110ml brewed coffee.
- Discard the hot water from your glass and add one heaped teaspoon of brown/demerara sugar.
- Add a good splash of the hot coffee and stir to dissolve all the sugar.
- Add your whiskey and top up with the rest of your coffee, stopping around 2cm from the top to leave room for the cream.
- Pour your cream into a cocktail shaker and shake for approx 20 seconds. This will slightly airate and thicken the cream so it will hold its shape on top of the hot cocktail. If you don't have a cocktail shaker, you can use a jar with a lid.
- Once your cream is ready, slowly pour onto the hot coffee over the back of a spoon. This will slowly spread the cream around the top and help to keep its shape.
- Finally, enjoy.
And there you have it. Feel free to experiment with different coffees brewed in different ways. You can mix up your choice of whiskey and play around with various sugars or sweeteners like muscovado sugar, honey or even maple syrup.